Saturday, May 5, 2012

On the Floor to Admire

When I woke up, I conferred with my “engineering spiritual leader” (David Fischer, in Boston) and then I went into the garage to study the situation.  I raised and lowered the engine several times, and then I noticed that the transmission was no longer moving with the engine at all !!  The crocodile apparently died when I was asleep!!  Within 10 minutes I had the transmission out from under the car to admire. 
 
                                                       Transmission finally on the floor.

Although the outside is grimy, the internals look very clean.  I will next clean the Aluminum housing with a scrub brush and Gunk Engine Degreaser.  The BMW transmission housing has the following part number information:

(See May 7, 2012, entry for All Gertag Transmission Identification information.)

Sadly, I did not find an identification plate with the model/serial number attached to the housing as I had read about in the service manual, perhaps it fell off within the last 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment