Sunday, April 15, 2012

Creative Destruction

I finally have begun the project in earnest, and after 11 hours of effort, this is the report.

Today I drained the radiator fluid and removed the radiator.  Drained the transmission fluid.  Drained the oil from the oil pan.  Disconnected and tagged all of the electircal connections to the engine.  Removed the back seat to reveal the access panels to the left and right side gas tanks.  I never knew that the fuel pumps could be so easily accessed under the seat !!  I siphoned out most of the residual gas (4 gallons) and recycled it into my work car.  Only a trace of gas is still present in the driver's side tank, but at least 1/4" of  gas is still present in the passenger side tank.  Ugh.  I will need to bring a vacuum pump home from work and along with an aspirator jar, remove all of the remaining gas and then vacuum the tank to dryness.

I removed the four metal straps that support the underside of the fuel tanks to the car.  The gas tank is molded like saddlebags, and the absent center portion allows for the drive shaft and some plumbing to pass thru the area.

I was unable to loosen the bolts that secured the exhaust system to the engine manifold, soooo, I cut the system loose with a 4.5" abrasive cutting wheel, with the assist of a portable band saw, and the finishing touches of a sawzal.  Scrap metal at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment