Friday, April 27, 2012

Warp 11 Change of Plan

Spoke at length with George Hamstra of Netgain Motors about my project and interest in his Warp 9 and Warp 11 DC motors.  Specifically, I wanted to know why the 9 would be selected rather than the 11.  George was extraordinarily generous with his time on the phone and I came away with a sense that not only are his motors the right choice for my project, but that I needed to change my selection from that of the Warp 9, and instead use the somewhat more expensive Warp 11.  George indicated that the Warp 9 is typically used with cars closer to 3000-3500 pound rolling weight, and the Warp 11 is typically used with cars in the 4000+ pound range (my car is 4056 pounds).  A second point was that although the Warp 9 can attain a higher road speed (estimated based upon car type and weight at 110-120 mph) when compared to a Warp 11 (80 to 85 mph), the Warp 11 has twice the torque and it will be faster off the line and it will mimic the performance of an ICE better.  He indicated that the Warp 9 typically runs in 2nd and 3rd gear while the Warp 11 will more likely run at higher RPM and it will typically run in either 3rd or 4th gear.   George also indicated that I should have a good experience using the 5 speed manual transmission and I am feeling better with my decision to keep the tranny that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment