Friday, May 11, 2012

Gas Tank Removal


I have been concerned over the last few weeks as to how to remove the gas tank.  I previously vacuumed out the last traces of gas, and used the vacuum pump to pull fresh air thru the tanks until they were completely dry.  But how I should cut out the tanks was uncertain until I spotted at Home Depot a 12-inch sawzall blade manufactured by the “Diablo" Tool Company.  It was described as “Carbide Tipped, Nail-Embedded Wood”.   I felt, that I had found, the right tool.  The blades length allowed me to easily penetrate to full depth and it also allowed me to lay the blade at a gentle angle (blade teeth aiming upright) and gradually saw all the way thru the plastic in nearly a single pass.  Within minutes the task was complete, and the saddle bags were hanging at a 30-degree angle.  I then dislodged two plastic lines that were clipped to the tanks, but the tanks did not fall down, instead now teasing me with a 45-degree angle.  After twisting the tanks I then saw that there were 2 small plastic lines and a much larger black rectangular plastic structure that all appeared to be holding the tank in mid air.  I severed the tubing using the gas tank access point in the back seat, and then after returning to beneath the car, I then carefully sawed thru the previously hidden structural plastic.  The driver's side tank immediately fell to the floor, but the passenger side was still held firmly at its outboard leading edge.  By bending and twisting I realized that several tubing lines were held with clips to the tank, and after cutting, the tank then fell to the floor!  Finally.


 Complete gas tank assembly after removal.

Cross section of saddle bag gas tank showing rectangular secondary structure that had to be cut prior to removal of the gas tank.

Further demolition after removing the plastic cover in the distal aspect of the passenger rear tire wheel well, allowed for the removal of the gas fill assembly and the fuel expansion tank.  The remaining hoses from these systems penetrated the chassis thru a welded metal tube that terminated adjacent to the old gas tank.  Twisting and pulling eventually removed from the metal tube a 36-inch section of braided rubber hose and tubing !!


I should note that I have been concerned about the age and possible brittleness of the plastic parts of the 325i.  Since it is easier to replace plastic clips than it is to source replacement plastic structures, I have routinely cut off the heads of the retention clips as a way to allow easy and safe removal of important plastic parts that I intend to include in my final build.

The future site of the electric charger port.


No comments:

Post a Comment